To make the pine apple upside down cake you will need:
- a box of your favorite yellow cake mix along with all the ingredients needed to make the batter, you can find those on the box
- 1 can of pine apple rings
- 4 oz of butter
- 2/3 cup of brown sugar (light or dark, depends on your preference). You might need more (or less) brown sugar- depending on the size of your pan
- About a dozen+1 of maraschino cherries (if you use the same cake pan as I do)
- a 13 inch in diameter cake board or serving plate
About the cake pan.
To make my apple upside down cake I use Wilton’s Viennese Swirl Pan. Unfortunately they no longer make this pan. I bought mine from my good friends at Chocolate Belles long time ago. I just saw there are two Viennese Swirl Pans available, I think they might have very limited stock of these pans. To make your cake you can use any round cake pan, or even your cast iron skillet. Make sure your pan is about 12 inches in diameter to be able to arrange your pine apple as shown in the pictures bellow.
- Cut 6 pineapple rings in halves, reserve one ring for the center of your cake.
- Make your yellow cake batter. Just follow the recipe on the box.
- Meanwhile melt your butter. Spray the wall of your cake pan with a cooking spray, pour and spread the melted butter evenly in the bottom of your cake pan. Sprinkle evenly the bottom of your cake pan with brown sugar. Make sure that the entire bottom of the pan is covered with brown sugar, it will help to release the cake from the pan.
- Arrange you pineapple pieces and cherries on the bottom of your cake pan by placing a whole ring in the center, and the halves around – see the picture bellow.
- Pour your batter gently over the pineapples, making sure to cover all pineapples. Tap the cake pan gently to release any air bubbles.
- Bake in the preheated oven to 325℉ for about 35 to 40 minutes. At 35 minutes insert a wooden toothpick in the middle, if it comes out clean your cake is done.
- Let it cool for about 20 minutes before flipping it over on a round cake board or plate (about 13 inch in diameter).
You can split your cake in half (horizontally) to fill it with a freshly whipped cream. Otherwise cut into portions and serve with a generous spoonful of freshly whipped cream. Enjoy!